As a Data Engineer at Arenko, you’ll be part of a team responsible for building and maintaining the data storage, ingestion and analysis systems that support our cloud-based system for controlling energy storage assets. This software platform allows us to offer responsive, reliable services to electrical grid operators (National Grid in the UK) while also analysing trading markets to optimise the revenue of assets under our control. You will be working within the software team to improve the performance and reliability of our databases and the systems they interact with and helping advance and improve our data operations as we grow.
You’ll be working with
- Cassandra and Postgres databases
- Go application microservices
- AWS-based infrastructure on EC2 and RDS
- Terraform and Docker for deployment and orchestration
- GitLab for code management and CI/CD
Arenko is creating a flexible and efficient platform that is transforming the makeup modern national electricity grids. Arenko, and the energy industry, are growing and changing quickly, and keeping our data systems state-of- the-art is vital to our goals.
- Maintaining, tuning and optimising our Cassandra and Postgres deployments
- Improving the resilience of our databases, building up our failover, backup and recovery processes
- Designing and implementing backend software to effectively make use of asset, market and business data
- Shaping and implementing database operations procedures to ensure the reliability and stability of the platform
- Helping define and iterate our internal practises to get the most out of our systems and keep in line with the industry
- Building out new ETL, interchange and analysis systems to support the Software and Data Science teams’ changing needs
- Around 2-5 years of experience within a similar role
- A highly organised an adaptable team player
- A self-motivated individual with a proven background in solving problems pragmatically and collaboratively
- Detail-focused, enjoys drilling down into complex problems
- Experience with AWS and cloud technologies
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL database software
- Experience in working with cloud-based, microservice architectures with a focus on continuous integration and delivery
- Interested in making a real impact on climate change with innovative technology
As we move to the high-renewables era, electricity storage is transforming the way the energy industry operates. The energy industry is fast becoming a digital and multidisciplinary sector that provides a fundamental service for modern society, but these needs must be delivered in a socially responsible way. Arenko are using new technology to add flexibility to the grid and secure supply in this fast-changing industry, offering a huge variety of opportunities for the future.
Arenko was founded in January 2014 and we are growing rapidly in an emerging sector. Arenko is a fun, inclusive and fast-paced environment and our team are self-motivated, enthusiastic and take a collaborative approach to help the business develop and grow.
We offer a range of benefits including:
- 25 days annual leave (+ bank holidays)
- Flexible working
- Enhanced parental leave offerings
- Company pension scheme
- Learning and development opportunities
- Bike to Work Scheme
- A commitment to your wellbeing with access to our EAP and other wellbeing initiatives
- Monthly socials, sports groups, Summer and Christmas Party